Monday, April 06, 2009

DWTS: Week 5 Viennese Waltz and Paso Doble

Since the above two aforementioned dances have always been my favourite I was really looking forward to tonight.

Chuck & Julianne kicked things off with their Viennese Waltz. Which was fairly well done. Chuck is definitely improving in his leadership role when he dances so that's nice to see.

With that said I really wish he received the Paso Doble instead. It would have given him a chance to show some confidence and some stronger emotions.

He's still got a long way to go in that respect. But not bad overall. The score wasn't too bad either 23/30.

Lawrence & Edyta were next with the Paso Doble. Which I thought was good, but not great. It lacked all the passion associated with the dance. I do think he looked much more natural out on the dance floor then he has since the beginning.

Definitely one of the better if not the best dances he's done. But I'm not sure whether it'll be enough to keep him in the competition. With a luckluster score of 20/30 he will certainly need the votes.

Mark & Shawn followed up with a very pretty Viennese Waltz. I actually had a feeling she would do well with this particular style, and I was right. She has a knack when it comes to poise and elegance (the top 2 elements needed for this dance).

The scores didn't completely reflect my feelings however, the judges only give them a 26/30. Which is nothing to cry about, but I thought they deserved something a little higher (at least that's one point higher then last week).

Tony & Melissa danced their Paso Doble. Which the judges thought contained a lot of mistakes. Since I'm neither a professional dancer nor a judge I'll just have to take their word on her supposed errors.

I didn't see anything wrong with it. In fact I thought she did quite well actually. She showed plenty of emotion and even when she messed up she kept it together. As Tony said it's much harder to continue on once you know you've made a mistake.

And we've had plenty of past examples with competitors who have made mistakes where the dances completely fell apart. So I give her huge credit for her recovery. 25/30 is nothing to sneeze at either.

David & Kym did the Viennese Waltz. He did an alright job, but it was nothing spectacular. The story they worked out for the dance was good but it didn't move me the same way that Shawn & Mark or even Gille & Cheryl did. With 22/30 he could also be in danger of heading home.

Gilles and Cheryl for the second week in a row the french actor was in a league of his own this time with the Paso Doble. I've said in the past that nothing could rival the intensity, passion and aggression of Mel and Max's 5th season Paso, but I think after tonight we may have found an equal. The man has superb lines when he moves.

With a near perfect score of 29/30 Gilles continues to be one of the top contenders who could end up taking it all in the end. Show of hands for those who wouldn't have minded if Gilles did the entire routine without his vest :D.

Steve-O & Lacey I was so glad to see him do better tonight I knew he could do it. I hope the audiance saves him again I would like to see him around for a little while longer. He gives this season some much needed entertainment.

Like Carrie Anne I'm not really a fan of shtick (the whole mime routine) when it comes to dance (especially the Viennese Waltz) but it worked really well. Earning them a score of 18/30.

Ty & Chelsie I was so disppoined with his score (21/30) tonight because I actually thought his performance wasn't as bad as the judges made it out to be.

Yes, he was stiff but that's kind of what the Paso Doble is all about anyway. I really hope the audiance doesn't decide to send him home based on this dance alone. He deserves to prove himself with a different dance.

Derek & 'Lil Kim danced the best Viennese Waltz of the night. And I think a lot of it can be attributed to their wonderful chemistry (as the judges themselves pointed out).

Not to mention Derek's flawless choreography once again. Frankly I was surprised they only got a 26/30.

I thought their total score would be much higher. But I'm not too worried I don't think those two are in any danger tomorrow night.

No comments: