Monday, August 25, 2008

Cockatiel confusion

Ok, so I've had a lutino cockatiel for over a year now. I have always been sure that it was a male because he displayed all the behaviours typical to males.

Things like hanging from the cage upside-down and showing off the wings, being extremely social and friendly with all the women in the house, right down to the pronounced orange cheeks.

All those things have lead everyone in my family to believe he is a he, even the pet store owner assured me of that. Which is why he was given the male name of Cuba.

But today, he layed an egg, so once again we were completely mislead, the same thing happened when I got my first cockatiel about 9 years back.

So far it is only the one egg though so I'm not completely convinced is there such a thing as a male who lays eggs and displays bi-sexual tendencies or behaviours?.

Any help with clarification would be much appriciated, please feel free to send comments to allyfan29@yahoo.ca. Hopefully none of you think I'm completely crazy *lol*.

No comments: