Friday, June 30, 2023

Iga Swiatek withdraws from Bad Homburg semis due to food poisoning



No.1 seed Iga Swiatek has withdrawn from her Bad Homburg Open semifinal against Lucia Bronzetti, citing GI illness, the tournament announced Friday.

"I'm so sorry but I have to pull out of my match today," Swiatek said in a statement. "I had a restless night because of some fever and possible food poisoning. I'm not able to perform today and I need to take care of myself. I hope I'll be fine soon. Your support in Bad Homburg was amazing, thank you."

Swiatek had defeated opponents including Wimbledon semifinalist Tatjana Maria and No.9 seed Anna Blinkova to reach her first grass-court semifinal in Bad Homburg.

Read more: 2023 Wimbledon seeds: Inside the numbers

Having captured her fourth Grand Slam title at Roland Garros last month, she will carry a 10-match winning streak into Wimbledon next week, where she opens up against Zhu Lin.


Well damn. I was really looking forward to this, Iga had a real chance of grabbing her first grass court title. 

Hopefully it really is just a case of bad food poisoning and she'll be ok in a few days. 

Of course many people think she's faking it in order to get a few extra days rest before Wimbledon. 

While there may be some truth to her wanting more rest before a Grand Slam, I believe she really wanted this title and wouldn't have withdrawn if she were able to play. 

It's just not in her nature to give opponents walkovers. The very fact that this is her first ever WTA match withdraw is proof of that. 

Hopefully we'll get more information on Iga's physical health at tomorrow's Wimbledon presser. 

Fingers crossed she feels better. 

Sending a prayer to the tennis gods for a speedy recovery for the World #1.

No comments: