Friday, July 23, 2021

Iga Swiatek relishes 'special moment' after Tokyo Opener win

Iga Swiatek opened the Olympic Tennis Event at Tokyo 2020 with champion’s poise, defeating Germany’s Mona Barthel 6-2 6-2 to reach the second round on her Games debut.


The 20-year-old's victory saw her become just the third Polish player to win an Olympic singles match after Agnieszka and Urszula Radwanska, and came while facing the pressure of top billing as she kicked off the tournament on Centre Court at Ariake Tennis Park.

Swiatek, who was initially expecting to open Court 1, benefitted from a schedule re-shuffle to account for Naomi Osaka’s starring role at the Opening Ceremony – and she was delighted to produce a performance worthy of the stage.

“It was amazing,” she said. “I wasn’t expecting that. I know that they changed the schedule yesterday, but it was a special moment for me. I know that right now I really feel the Olympic vibe.”

Swiatek may be making her Olympic debut at Tokyo 2020, but she has plenty of history in the Games. She secured a doubles gold medal alongside Kaja Juvan at the Youth Olympic Games in Buenos Aires in 2018 and her father, Tomasz, was an Olympian, competing in the men’s quadruple sculls event at the 1988 Summer Olympics.

“My Dad’s told me a lot about the Olympics,” said Swiatek. “I couldn’t actually imagine it properly, but for sure it’s a special event. It’s different than any other tournament. I’m trying to give myself the opportunity to get used to it and focus on playing.”

Swiatek proved ruthless in the face of the oppressive humidity on Saturday. She raced into a 5-0 lead in 26 minutes, though her German opponent managed to put more pressure on her serve than the scoreline suggests.

A momentarily lapse in concentration - a double fault - when serving for the opening set gave Barthel a break, and a glimmer of hope of finding a foothold in the match, but the Pole held her nerve and got off court, and out of the heat, after just 67 minutes.

“It is humid,” admitted last year's French Open champion. “I’m not used to it. My perfect weather is in Great Britain or maybe [the weather] at 2020 Roland Garros!

“It’s hard to get used to it, but we gave myself time, we came to Takasaki [about 100km north of Tokyo] before going to the Olympic village to get used to the jetlag, humidity, and right now it’s much, much easier [than when I arrived].

“But still, when the stress comes and all the different factors that you have on that match, it’s different. I’m happy I’m in the second round and I can just get the experience.”

Swiatek, who will face either Paula Badosa or Kristina Mladenovic in round two, was quick to acknowledge another 'special moment' at the start of these Games; Osaka representing Japan - and tennis - on Friday night.

"It’s amazing," she said of Osaka lighting the Olympic Cauldron. "I think she deserves it with all the great results that she had. She’s dealing with a lot of stuff, so it’s good that she had the honour and opportunity to do that.

"It’s a pretty special moment so I hope she’s going to remember that."

itftennis.com

No comments: