Saturday, March 27, 2021

Bianca Andreescu makes triumphant return in Miami

Grand Slam champions Bianca Andreescu and Sofia Kenin sealed safe passage through to the third round of the Miami Open as day turned to night on Friday.


In her first match in five weeks, 2019 US Open champion Andreescu twice trailed by a break in the opener and saved two set points before securing a 7-6(5), 6-2 win over Czech qualifier Tereza Martincova in one hour and 52 minutes.

"I felt really good mentally out there. That's the one thing I feel like I was struggling a little bit in Australia, but I was just super positive and I fought for every ball no matter what the score was," Andreescu said after the match.

"In the first set she had set point, but I just kept fighting, and I think that was the thing I was most proud of. I felt that in the first set I wasn't as consistent as in the second set, but I think that tiebreaker really said a lot, because I started putting more pressure. I was getting to a lot of balls.

"In the second set, you could tell that she became a little discouraged, and she started going for more shots. But that's part of my game style. I want to be very physical out there. I don't want to let any ball go and just never give up. I think that says a lot today in the match, and it showed."

Andreescu will next face No. 28 seed Amanda Anisimova, who overcame Sloane Stephens in an all-American second round encounter, 6-3, 6-3. Peers in the juniors, Andreescu and Anisimova have never played on the professional tour.

"I practiced actually with her the other day. I didn't know I was playing her. But I think it's going to be a great match," Andreescu said.

"She hits very flat, so I have to be ready for everything. She has a very good serve, but I'm feeling good out there and I think it's gonna be a very good match."

No comments: