Monday, October 22, 2018

Roger Federer reveals he injured his hand during grass court season

Roger Federer has told Tages Anzeiger that he injured his hand during practice at the beginning of the grasscourt season, which affected his forehand for the next three months.

Asked whether he had been having any problems with his forehand, Federer said, "At the beginning of the grass season, I hurt my hand a bit during practice. I have the feeling it was more of an influence than I had thought. That should not be an excuse... but I could not hit forehands properly, especially in the final of Halle and then at Wimbledon."

But the No. 3 said he has recovered. "I've felt better since [the Laver Cup at] Chicago," he said, adding that despite a semifinal defeat in Shanghai, "I did not think it was so bad and was happy. I had long rallies... especially against [Kei] Nishikori."

Federer plays his hometown event at Basel this week, where he is the top seed. The local favorite plays Filip Krajinovic in the first round.

No comments: