Tuesday, September 04, 2018

Roger Federer suffers earliest defeat at U.S. Open due to humid conditions



Five-time former champion Roger Federer said that the hot and humid conditions at the US Open got the better of him on Monday night, but he was also full of praise for John Millman after the Australian’s fourth-round victory.

“I just thought it was very hot tonight,” said Federer, who lost 3-6, 7-5, 7-6(7), 7-6(3) on Arthur Ashe Stadium. “[It] was just one of those nights where I guess I felt I couldn't get air. There was no circulation at all. For some reason I just struggled in the conditions tonight. It's one of the first times it's happened to me.

“John was able to deal with it better. He maybe comes from one of the most humid places on earth, Brisbane. I knew I was in for a tough one. Maybe when you feel like that, as well, you start missing chances, and I had those. That was disappointing. But at some point, also, I was just happy that the match was over.”

The Swiss superstar suffered his earliest exit at a Grand Slam championship since a third-round loss at the 2015 Australian Open (l. to Seppi). “I've trained in tougher conditions," said Federer. "I've played in the daytime at 120ºF. Some days it's just not the day where the body can cope with it."

Millman booked a place in his first major quarter-final by breaking a 10-match losing streak against Top 10 players in the ATP Rankings (now 1-10 lifetime). Federer had led 6-3, 5-4, 40/15 on his serve, but he was unable to convert two set points. Millman will now prepare to meet two-time former US Open champion Novak Djokovic on Wednesday.

“I thought the match was tough, said Federer. "I wish I could have led two sets to love and then maybe the match would be different and I would find a way. Because I did have my chances all the way till the end. It was just tough. I thought John played a great match in difficult conditions.

“I love his intensity,” added Federer, who had trained with 29-year-old Millman for a few days ahead of the grass-court swing in June. “He reminds me of David Ferrer and those other guys that I admire a lot when I see them; when I see how they train [and] the passion they have for the game.

“He's got a positive demeanour about himself on and off the court. I think he's got a great backhand that he can protect very well down the line and cross-court. When you attack there in the wrong way, he will punish you every time for it. He has options, now especially where it's a bit slower, to return in and return back. I think against Novak, he just has to bring it again [and] try to worry Novak.”

Federer, who currently in second position in the ATP Race To London for a spot at the Nitto ATP Finals, to be held at The O2 in London from 11-18 November, is now 36-6 on the season, which includes three titles.


I'll be honest I did not think he would win this U.S. Open based on the way he performed in Cincinnati. 

But I did get some false hope when he beat Kyrgios handily, and I thought he would at least reach the quarters.   

No one could have predicted this though, there was a moment when I thought he got injured (so I'm glad to see that's not the case). 

But boy, the heat really effected him last night. 

It's the worst he's ever served in a Grand Slam match 36 % first serves, horrible stats all around.  It was really painful to watch at times.  

I wish I could agree with Roger and give his opponent as much credit, but let's face it Roger beat himself last night.  

Had to grabbed those 2 sets points and gone up 2 sets to none, it would have been a different match. 

Same in the forth when he broke to go up 4-2.  I'm not too shocked with this defeat, aside from the Aussie Open 2018 has been really abysmal for Roger and it's really too bad.  

Hopefully he can salvage the season with some wins in Bejing, Basel and the Nito Finals.  

Maybe doing well at Laver Cup in a few weeks will be a good boost for him too. 

I know people are talking about Djokovic or Nadal winning it, but I think this might be Del Potro's year. 

As for the women no clue, that remains the most unpredictable. 

No comments: