Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Roger Federer's twin Laureus awards crash it's website



Roger Federer was honoured by the 2018 Laureus World Sports Awards on Tuesday, picking up the Sportsman of the Year and Comeback of the Year awards at the ceremony in Monaco. The 36-year-old tennis star managed to briefly crash the Laureus website in the process as fans flocked online to read about his win.

The ATP World Tour No. 1 received his sixth award since the Laureus Awards began in 2000, making him the most decorated winner in its history. Following a 2016 season curtailed by knee and back problems, Federer returned in 2017 to win seven titles, including two Grand Slams and three ATP World Tour Masters 1000s in a run that laid the groundwork for his eventual return to No. 1 in the ATP Rankings earlier this month.

"I'm humbled to stand in front of you and receive this award," Federer said during the ceremony. "The Laureus Foundation does amazing work. I have a foundation of my own and get inspired and motivated by what you do. Maybe one day, I'll be remembered for my philanthropic work rather than my tennis work."

No comments: