Monday, August 14, 2017

Roger Federer withdraws from Cincinnati with a tweaked back

Roger Federer has withdrawn from the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati. The seven-time champion said on Monday that a back injury will force him to miss the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament this week.

“I am very sorry to pull out of the Western & Southern Open as I always enjoy playing here,” Federer said. “Cincinnati has some of the best fans in the world and I am sorry I will miss them. Unfortunately, I tweaked my back in Montreal and I need to rest this week.”

Federer fell in the Coupe Rogers final to Alexander Zverev, the first title match the Swiss has lost this season (5-1 record). His withdrawal guarantees Rafael Nadal will return to No. 1 in the Emirates ATP Rankings when the new rankings are released on Monday 21 August. Nadal has spent 141 weeks at the top spot but hasn't been No. 1 since 6 July 2014.

atpworldtour.com

I saw this coming, I mean credit to Zvarev but I could tell Roger was not himself all week in Montreal. 

The fact that his first service percentage was under or just over 50% was the clue. And it also explains his uncharacteristic number of double faults and backhand/forehand errors. 

I'm kind of wishing he hadn't played Montreal, now I'm really worried about his chances in New York even with the rest. 

I'll be happy either way because he's had an amazing 2017, but I really don't want the rest of his year to end on a sad note. 

And I really wanted him to do well at the U.S. Open. 

Now all that is in serious doubt, because we know what tweaking his back does to his game. Staying positive for the moment, but not expecting much at the same time.  Damn :(. 

No comments: