Saturday, March 18, 2017

Roger Federer moves into semi-finals at BNP Paribas Open after Nick Kyrgios withdraws due to illness

Nick Kyrgios announced his withdrawal ahead of his quarter-final match against Roger Federer on Friday at the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells.

“Unfortunately I am unable to play today due to sickness,” the 21-year-old Australian shared in a statement. “At this stage we think it’s food poisoning, and I’m praying it’s nothing more. After a restless night of being sick I have nothing left and to play a great champion like Roger, I need to be at my best to have a chance. I don’t take this decision lightly, these are the matches we train for but I’m in no fit state to take to the court.

“I’m sorry to the fans that I’m unable to take to the court but I have to put my health first and I hope you understand. I want to wish Roger the best of luck for the rest of the tournament and thank everyone for their support so far here at the BNP Paribas Open. I will definitely be back. Thank you.”

Kyrgios had ousted defending champion Novak Djokovic in the fourth round, while Federer had dismissed Rafael Nadal in straight sets. Federer, a four-time champion at this ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament, awaits the winner between Japan’s Kei Nishikori and American Jack Sock.

“Hope you feel better @NickKyrgios,” Federer tweeted.

No comments: