Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Stan Wawrinka can't wait to see Roger Federer back on tour in 2017

Stan Wawrinka has only one wish for 2017: seeing Roger Federer healthy after a very tough season for him. ´For tennis in general, I would like to see Roger back at the top with no injury. I think it’s always good for everybody when he’s playing´, he said during his pre-tournament press conference in Shanghai.

He also commented on how he feels heading to the Shanghai event: 'So far I’m quite happy with the practice. I would say (the courts are) a little bit faster than last year, but in general I’m feeling good. Always enjoy to come back. I think we have a chance that the tournament is doing amazing job first for the player, not only on-site but also off-site if we want to discover the city, if we want to go to nice restaurant. So I always enjoy my time here, for sure.'


He also commented on Ernests Gulbis' remarks. In May the Latvian had said that he was not respected like when he was two years ago in top 10 of the ATP Rankings. For Stan this is normal: 'If you win more probably your life changes', Wawrinka said to Schweizer Illustrierte. 'It's obvious that Federer has all the privileges, he earned them over the years. I won some Slams and a Davis Cup title, I have my place in tennis. But I am aware that between being top 5 and being a lower ranked player, there is a difference.'

He won three Grand Slams, a Davis Cup, he has been nominated Swiss athlete of the year. Why does he keep playing? 'Because I like to do it. I live of the sport and I am very lucky. I like to practice and to compete either if I win or lose. There is no reason why I should stop now, although I am 31. At this age you are old for the sport but very young in life. I want to enjoy as much as possible.'

His Weight is 81kg and is 1.83 meters high. Asked if he took in consideration to be thinner in order to be faster, Wawrinka said: 'Obviously you have to be very fast at these levels. I spoke about it with nutritionists and my fitness trainer Pierre Paganini, but for my tennis and for my speed of shots I need a certain weight.'

Djokovic is six Grand Slam titles away from breaking Roger Federer's record. Asked what would mean for Roger to see it happen, Wawrinka replied: 'First of all we need to say that Djokovic still has to win five Majors and it's not granted that he does it. We were saying the same about Nadal Two years ago. It's not worth to speak about it now.'

No comments: