Saturday, February 27, 2016

Roger Federer withdraws from BNP Paribas Open enters Rolex Masters due to continued recovery from surgery

Four-time champion Roger Federer has withdrawn from the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells next month as he continues to rehab from knee surgery. Federer underwent arthroscopic surgery on his knee February 3 in Switzerland and only returned to the practice court this past Tuesday.

On his Facebook page, Federer wrote: “The rehab for my knee is going really well! I have now had a lot of great practices on the court and in the gym. As it is a long year, I don't want to push it too hard and come back too soon. Thus, I will unfortunately not be able to make it back in time for the great event in Indian Wells but I do plan on playing in the desert next year.

“After consultation with my team, I have decided to enter the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters. Thanks for the support and I will see you back on tour soon.”

Federer finished runner-up to Novak Djokovic the past two years in Indian Wells, where he last won the title in 2012. The Swiss also won three consecutive titles in the Californian desert from 2004-06. Since making his debut in 2001, Federer has made 15 consecutive appearances in Indian Wells, where he boasts a 52-11 record.

Federer suffered a torn meniscus one day after falling to Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals of the Australian Open in late January.

atpworldtour.com

No comments: