Friday, December 18, 2015

Roger Federer on new coach Ljubicic


First-hand experience facing this generation and motivational skill are two reasons why Roger Federer added Ivan Ljubicic to his coaching team.

Former world No. 3 Ljubicic played Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal nine times apiece, winning twice against both Grand Slam champions.

The 36-year-old Croatian previously served as co-coach of Canadian Milos Raonic, knows tactical tendencies of top players and like Federer, plays with a one-handed backhand.

"It's the first time that I've had someone within my team whose actually played on tour against the players that I've played against," Federer told the media in New Delhi in comments published by AFP. "My coaches in the past have all been players from a different generation. I think Ivan can bring something very exciting to my team, (including) motivation."

Federer, who parted company with coach Stefan Edberg earlier this month, said the Hall of Famer had planned to coach him for a year.

"The idea was only to do one year. I couldn't believe it when (Edberg) said yes in the first place," Federer said. "We had a great split in (the) sense that we've known for 10 months that it was going to end at the end of the year."

No comments: