Friday, August 14, 2015

Nick Kyrgios causes controversy at Rogers Cup with disrespectful comment vs Stan Wawrinka

Nick Kyrgios, Australia’s bad boy of tennis, went below the belt with a diss against Stan Wawrinka.


In the second set of Wednesday night’s second-round match at the Rogers Cup in Montreal, the controversial Kyrgios was overheard on a courtside microphone saying: “Kokkinakis banged your girlfriend. Sorry to tell you that, mate.”

Kyrgios was referring to Thanasi Kokkinakis, a fellow Australian who is currently ranked 76th in the world.

Wawrinka, 30, has been romantically linked to 19-year-old Croatian tennis starlet Donna Vekic since divorcing his wife, Ilham, earlier this year. But according to Fox Sports Australia, rumors linger about Kokkinakis and Vekic, who are mixed doubles partners.

Vekic’s blond hair and good looks have drawn inevitable comparisons to glamorous tennis star Maria Sharapova.

Kyrgios apologized Thursday after receiving a fine from the ATP for an undisclosed amount for the “insulting remark.”

“I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the comments I made during the match last night vs Stan Wawrinka,” Kyrgios posted on Facebook. “My comments were made in the heat of the moment and were unacceptable on many levels. In addition to the private apology I’ve made, I would like to make a public apology as well. I take full responsibility for my actions and regret what happened.”

He was much less remorseful during his post-match interview.

“You know he was getting a bit lippy at me, so I don’t know, it is just in-the-moment sort of stuff,” Kyrgios told Australian Broadcasting Corporation. “I don’t really know, I just said it.”

Wawrinka took his frustrations to Twitter, explaining how disgusted he was by the Australian’s behavior.

“So disappointing to see a fellow athlete and colleague be so disrespectful in a way I could never even imagine,” Wawrinka tweeted. “What was said I wouldn’t say to my worst enemy. To stoop so low is not only unacceptable but also beyond belief.

“There is no need for this kind of behavior on or off the court, and I hope the governing body of this sport does not stand for this and stands up for the integrity of this sport that we have worked so hard to build.

Kyrgios went on to win the second set 6-3 before the match ended early in the third after Wawrinka retired due to injury.

The 20-year-old Kyrgios has been the center of controversy in the past — including endorsing tennis fans for “blacking up” their faces and berating an umpire during a match at Wimbledon.

nypost.com


If this is the type of thing we have to look forward to from the new generation then no thank you. I'll take the veteran players any day.


Good thing Novak Djokovic will be around for a while to lead the way on proper sportsmanship (and of course Mr. Federer isn't going away yet).

No comments: