Monday, February 23, 2015

Roger Federer makes successful return in Dubai

Roger Federer opened his bid for an unprecedented seventh Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships title on Monday with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Mikhail Youzhny in the first round.

Federer fired eight aces against Youzhny in the 56-minute win, taking him to a career ace count of 8,985. The right-hander is bidding to join Goran Ivanisevic, Ivo Karlovic and Andy Roddick as the only players to reach the 9,000 aces milestone since records began in 1991.

The Swiss improved to a 16-0 mark against Youzhny in their FedEx ATP Head2Head series as he won his first match back since suffering a surprise third-round exit against Andreas Seppi at the Australian Open last month.

"I think it was close in that first set." said Federer. "I think we were both trying to find our range. I'm happy I didn't start to play too careful after it, because it is tough to play here in Dubai with the quick conditions. After that, I think I started to return much better. Serve got a bit more consistent. My half volleys were getting better. I was able to get the set and the break, and then that's when you can bring it home."

Federer improved to a 7-1 match record on the season, highlighted by winning his 83rd tour-level title at the Brisbane International (d. Raonic).

The 33-year-old Federer has a 43-5 match record at this ATP World Tour 500 hard-court tournament, lifting the trophy in 2003-05, 2007, 2012 and 2014. He also finished runner-up in 2006 and 2011. The second seed goes on to face the winner of an all-Spanish clash between Fernando Verdasco and Guillermo Garcia-Lopez.

Denis Istomin caused the first upset of in Dubai. Istomin, who is currently No. 65 in the Emirates ATP Rankings, knocked out No. 14-ranked Ernests Gulbis 7-5, 6-2 in one hour and 34 minutes. Gulbis, who had won their two previous tour-level matches, has yet to win a match this year (0-5).

"I'm not in good form right now," said Gulbis, who led 4-1 in the first set. "I'm not feeling my shots at all. I have no timing. In practice I have been playing worse than in the match."

Elsewhere, Joao Sousa beat a long-time friend, wild card James McGee, also making his tournament debut, 6-1, 6-2 in 65 minutes, and goes on to face third seed and 2012 finalist Andy Murray or Gilles Muller.

"I know him very well, because he used to practise in Barcelona with me at the same academy," said Sousa. "[It] was not easy to play against him, but I played good tennis and I am happy to be in second round."

Andrey Golubev defeated qualifier Fabrice Martin 7-5, 6-4 in 87 minutes for a second round clash against top seed and four-time champion Novak Djokovic or Vasek Pospisil.

No comments: