Saturday, January 31, 2015

Martina Hingis says tennis needs more characters like Nick Kyrgios

THREE-time Australian Open champion Martina Hingis says tennis needs more characters like Nick Kyrgios.

Hingis, who is playing doubles with Flavia Pennetta, told Confidential: “(Thanasi) Kokkinakis and Kyrgios, they’re two characters. The boys are going to be really exciting to watch for years to come.

“Especially Kyrgios, he’s already made a splash at Wimbledon. I like his character, I know it looks so wild but I think tennis needs faces like him. Any time, in any sport, it’s good to have a little bit of spark.”

Hingis, who has twice retired and dabbled in coaching, said she was loving being back on court.

“I’ve always liked the Australian summer to start the season,’’ she said.

“I know it’s not going to be there forever. When I made a comeback at 25 I thought, ‘Yeah, I still have years to come’.

“But now I know it’s not going to be there forever. Every match and victory is a bonus. I don’t want to think about it, I’ll see how far it’s going to take me. I’m just enjoying the moment.

“In doubles you have to be more reactive. If you’re tired and not fresh it won’t get you anywhere. Singles you have a bigger court and you can defend yourself. In doubles everything happens so fast. I cherish it more, every win is a good one.”

No comments: