Thursday, October 16, 2014

Roger Federer feels honored and privileged to play in India

Most successful tennis player of all time, Roger Federer, has said that it will be an honor and privilege to play in India and he has also shared that he can’t wait to go to the Asian country as he has always dreamed of going there.


Times of India quote Federer as saying, "For me going to India is like going to South America, like I felt in my initial years. It feels unreal because you've wanted it to happen for so long, and then finally it's happening."


Federer will be in New Delhi in December to take part in the inaugural edition of International Premier Tennis League which is an initiative of Indian tennis legend Mahesh Bhupathi. The Swiss star will be representing Indian Aces at the intercity event.

The 17-time Grand Slam winner has some good knowledge about India as he said, 


"I understand that the north of India is very different from the south, culturally, languages, the food you eat and the clothes you wear. It would be impossible to experience all of India at one go. Whenever I speak to Indians anywhere in the world I notice that they speak of their country with a great sense of pride, which is very nice, very sweet. You all have a great history.”

Though, it will not be Federer’s first trip to the country which has a vast history. The 33-year-old visited the state of Tamil Nadu on the second anniversary of Tsunami in 2006. The Swiss player had loved the experience and he had promised that he would visit the country again.



Federer added, "I would love one day to travel across your great country and experience all there is to experience. My last trip to Chennai and then Pondicherry for relief work was incredible. My wife Mirka was also with me that time. I have great memories of India."

The world number two said that he will do much more in India than just playing tennis. He stated, 



"I can't wait to walk out on to the court, to see the fans, feel the energy. It's an honour and a privilege. Playing in India is something I've always dreamt of. But again my India trip will be so much more than just tennis. That's India really. It's got to be more than just tennis."

When Federer announced his decision to join IPTL and travel to India, he asked his fans to photo shop him at India’s must see places and then we were able to see some amazing and funny pictures (Click here to see some of them).


tennisworldusa.org

No comments: