Thursday, February 20, 2014

Sabine Lisicki happy with Martina Hingis as coach

Wimbledon finalist Sabine Lisicki has been trying out a coaching arrangement with Martina Hingis though the new grouping did not work particularly well at the WTA Dubai event. Lisicki went out in the first round in three sets to Caroline Wozniacki, with Hingis dutifully trotting down from the stands to the player bench during changeover to give some strategic advice.


Germany’s Lisicki said her new deal came together quickly. “Unfortunately we didn’t have too much time to practice with each other yet, but it’s good, it’s fun, we enjoy it. We’re looking forward to being able to now continue to practice.


Lisicki said that the pair decided one day to work together: “I have known her for years, I used to practice with her mother when I was a little girl, and I actually practiced with her when she was still a player and I was a little girl and I was looking up to her.


“It was very exciting. Martina knows me as well since I’m a little girl. So I think it’s a good connection, because she also understands how it is to be in a situation where some other people might not.”


Hingis is a part of the trend on the men’s and women’s sides for former start to return as coaches or advisers for the game’s current elites. On the WTA, ex-pros now include former grand slam winner Amelie Mauresmo as head of the French Fed Cup team with former French Open winner Anastasia Myskina also on site in Dubai, working with Ekaterina Makarova.


10sballs.com

No comments: