Friday, January 17, 2014

Roger Federer is into the second week at Australian Open





Roger Federer has reached the fourth round of the Australian Open for the 13th straight year with a performance that suggested the sixth seed is far from a spent force.

Federer beat Teymuraz Gabashvili of Russia 6-2 6-3 6-3, setting up a round-of-16 clash with either Jo-Wilfried Tsonga or Gilles Simon.

The one-time king of the game who held the top spot in world rankings for longer than any other player, Federer has won a record 17 grand slam finals.

But he hasn't claimed a major in his past five attempts and is keener than ever to collect one more.

"It's been a while, but I'm happy with how I'm playing, how I'm feeling," Federer said.

His defeat of Gabashvili was Federer's 71st at the Australian Open, just one of the dozens of records established by the Swiss champion.

Federer came to this year's Open after a season hampered by a back injury and with a new racquet.

After his third-round win, he declared the back to be healed and the racquet behaving.

"I'm just happy to be waking up in the morning and not feeling like an old man," he said.

"I have confidence in my movement and confidence in my body."



I liked the way he played in his last match more, but every match is different and you can't be as aggressive in every one. In this one Roger was forced to be more on the defensive, but handled  it really well. 

Again I think that new racquet is really working out.  Roger Federer is in the second week of a major all is right in my (tennis) world. 

The level of difficulty will go up about 50 percent in round 4 but if Roger plays the way he has been I believe he will make it into the quarters (how's that for a bold prediction?). 

Whoever it ends up being (probably Tsonga)  will be the first tough test for Rog.  Nail biting time!.


No comments: