Friday, December 27, 2013

Stefan Edberg, Roger Federer's new coach?

Roger Federer has announced that he will work with his childhood idol, Stefan Edberg, for 10 weeks in 2014.
Edberg will join Severin Lüthi starting at the Australian Open, which begins on 13 January.
"I am happy to announce that beginning in Melbourne, Stefan Edberg will join Severin Lüthi on my coaching team," said Federer in a statement on his website. "Severin, who has been part of my team for the last seven years, will do most of the weeks and Stefan has agreed to work with us for at least 10 weeks starting at the Australian Open in Melbourne. Stefan was my childhood hero, and I am really looking forward to spending time and learning from him."
Earlier this month, Edberg took part in a training week with Federer in Dubai.
"I'm really excited to be part of Roger's team and I hope together we can bring out his best tennis," said Edberg, a six-time Grand Slam singles champions and former World No. 1.
Federer has been without a second coach since he parted company withPaul Annacone in October.
Lüthi added, "Roger will play a full schedule next year so we both wanted to make sure we had a solid team in place. I want to continue to improve and innovate Roger's game and I really look forward to be working with Stefan. Like Roger, I have a tremendous amount of respect for Stefan and I am sure he will bring a lot to our team as Roger continues to chase titles in 2014."
During the off-season a number of former ATP World Tour players have entered into agreements to coach current stars.
Novak Djokovic announced that he will be coached by Boris Becker earlier this month, while Michael Chang will oversee Kei NishikoriMarin Cilic has appointed Goran IvanisevicRichard Gasquet will team up with Sergi Bruguera and Ivan Ljubicic will coach Milos Raonic.

No comments: