Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Andy Murray thinks women should play best of 5 sets for equal pay

While speaking to the New York Times, Andy Murray said that having equal pay for both men and women should only happen if women start playing best of five set matches or men play best of three set matches. “It isn’t about it being inferior. As I see them, they’re two different sports,” Murray said.
“It’s just because we play five sets. I’m not saying the men work harder than the women, but if you have to train to play five sets, it’s a longer distance. It’s like someone training to be a 400-meter runner and someone training to be a 600-meter runner. I think the women should play best-of-five sets.
“Maybe it doesn’t have to be from the first rounds,” added this year’s Wimbledon Champion. “I think either the men go three sets or the women go five sets. I think that’s more what the guys tend to complain about, rather than the equal prize money itself.”
Murray also added that the he would prefer to see the best of five set format intact instead of shortening the match to best of three sets.  “I’ve always played five sets at the Slams. It’s what makes them different,” he said. “I would rather want the five-set rule for the men and the women. They did it before. They used to do it in finals, and stuff, I think in the tour finals, and some of the big finals on the WTA Tour. So it’s not like women cannot play five sets. Steffi Graf and Martina Navratilova and those players were unbelievable over five sets, and in great shape.”
Murray also said that his mother’s association with coaching for some a long time and the recent rise of Brit female players like Heather Watson and Laura Robson has helped him gain interest in the Women’s game. “I like watching the big matches when the top players play against each other. I like watching the British girls play, when I can,” said Murray.
He also added that his favorite player to watch on the Women’s Tour was Agnieszka Radwanska. “I don’t watch it as much men’s tennis, because when I’m watching it, I’m kind of watching it just to enjoy it, whereas with men’s tennis I sometimes watch to enjoy, but a lot of times I’m either scouting guys or watching my opponent.”

I've always wondered why don't they make it the same for the WTA?.  Does it have anything to do with stamina and fitness?.  

No comments: