Sunday, April 21, 2013

Kim Clijsters attends Belgium vs. Poland Fed Cup match


Tennis - Former world no. 1 Kim Clijsters had been a huge supporter of the Fed Cup competition during her career. 

So it was no surprise that she chose to come to the stands to cheer on her Belgian countrywomen as they took on Poland in the Fed Cup World Group III play off tie on Saturday.

Clijsters watched good friend Kirsten Flipkens beat Urszula Radwanska in straight sets to keep Belgians tied at 1-1 after the first day Clijsters has been helping Flipkens since she retired last September though not in any official capacity. Flipkens has seen her game surge over the past 12 months and is now ranked inside the top 25 in the world.

Flipkens commented, "I knew Kim was coming. She came with Jean-Pierre and I really appreciated it because these two people have been there for me in the rough times and it is nice that I can play a good match in front of them. Kim texted me after. It’s normal when you are in Belgium that you get a lot of attention if you come to watch a match like this, so she came here just to watch my match and left immediately after. But I appreciate it a lot that she was here.”

No comments: