Sunday, December 11, 2011

Clijsters staying cautious in 2012

With injuries throughout 2011, Belgian Kim Clijsters opted out of some important tournaments this year including Wimbledon and the US Open where she was the double defending champion.

“The start of 2011 was really good. But after that I made some decisions I no longer would make now. 

After a physically and psychologically very strenuous Australian Open, the indoor tournament in Paris was the one event too much. Now, I'll be listening to my body much better,” commented Clijsters on her injuries in 2011.

The Belgian starts of her 2012 campaign at the Brisbane International before moving to defend her title at the Australian Open. 

When asked about her targets for 2012 Clijsters added, “I will take things one tournament at a time, but above all I would like to improve my game. I have been working really hard at my service, because that often did not go well in the past year.”

Clijsters also showed a certain level of uncertainty when asked about her Fed Cup and Olympic aspirations.

“I have spoken to team captain Ann Devries, but I have not decided anything yet. The year will be very busy already with the sequence of Wimbledon and the Olympics. I'll see how things are after the Australian Open. Should I do as well as last year it might all be a bit much, but should things go not too well Down Under the Fed Cup might be an appropriate challenge.”

It seems like we will see a new and improved Clijsters in 2012 and lets hope she bedazzles us with her scintillating tennis that we are used to!.

No comments: