Monday, August 15, 2011

Hingis/Federer dream Olympic pairing still alive?

Roger Federer said Monday that he would talk to Martina Hingis about a possible dream pairing in the 2012 London Olympics mixed doubles competition. 

Although Hingis has done her best to not fuel rumours of a comeback and appearance in London, Federer said that he would touch base with his fellow former World No. 1 to gauge her interest in teaming at the Olympics. Although the 16-time Grand Slam champion said that he was unsure whether it was realistic for him to play three events – singles, doubles and mixed – in London. 


“Might as well just see if she is available,” Federer responded when asked Monday at the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati if he would consider playing mixed with Martina at the Olympics. “If I played mixed with anybody it would be with Hingis just because she's been an amazing player and I had my first kind of success at the Hopman Cup with her and practised and played with her before. Even if she is retired, she might think about it at least. I've approached her already a long time ago, and I guess she just mentioned something to the press and it took a life of its own. 

“But I haven't spoken to her myself yet. We'll see where it goes. I know it's a lot on your plate to play singles, doubles, and mixed. I need to decide if I want to do that in the first place, and then see if she will come out of retirement. Still have a lot of things to go through, but haven't spoken yet. I don't know what's going to happen.”

Asked if he would initiate a call with Hingis, Federer said, “I don't think I need to win her over. She's a champion herself. She's in retirement, not me, so she needs to do all the hard work. I've been on the tour playing and ready to go basically. So she has the whole thing to go through. Because what I'm hearing, she just doesn't want to come back for a week of doubles, which I understand that. There is much more to it. At the end of the day, that's her decision.” 

After being pressed on the issue, Federer added, ‘I will talk to her.”

Federer won the doubles gold medal with Stanislas Wawrinka at the 2008 Beijing Olympics. A singles gold medal is one of the few prestigious titles in tennis to have eluded him.

atpworldtour

No comments: