Tuesday, June 01, 2010

F U Roland Garros


There is a reason why I hate rain at the Grand Slams, and there's an even bigger reason why I hate rain on the clay at the French Open.

In a repeat of last year's French Open final Roger Federer lost to Robin Soderling in 4 sets 3-6 6-3,7-5,6-4 in the quarters thus losing his 23 consecutive semi-finals record.

And a chance at defending the title he finally won last year. Yep after losing to him 12 times the Swede finally beat the Swiss.

13 turned out to be his lucky number. I have to say even though I knew this was a possibility (after all this is the men who broke Rafael Nadal's streak last year in the semi's) I'm still in a great deal of shock.

Though they remained respectfully polite, the French crowd seemed equally as stunned.

The thing with Roger is no matter how dire the situation the guy always finds a way to pull through, which is why I held my breath up until the very last point.

Because the man has been known to perform miracles. I was really pulling for a 5th and decisive set.

The rainy conditions didn't do him any favors making the ball very heavy and harder to control.

And that's another reason I hate this tournament anywhere else they would have stopped play and resumed the following day.

Here they don't do that because as long as the court lines remain dry, the clay is playable (although I still hope they put in a retractable roof one of these days, get with the times Paris!).

This whole tournament has been one big disappointment, first with Justine Henin losing to Sam Stosur and now Roger losing to Robin.

Thanks Roland Garros for giving me a new reason to strongly dislike you.

No comments: