Thursday, April 01, 2010

Kim Clijsters overcomes Justine Henin in Miami

Kim Clijsters has defeated fellow Belgian Justine Henin 6-2, 6-7 (3), 7-6 (6) in a seesaw semifinal at the Sony Ericsson Open.

Clijsters needed four match points in the second tiebreaker to close out the victory Thursday night. Her opponent in the final Saturday will be three-time champion Venus Williams, who beat Marion Bartoli 6-3, 6-4.

Clijsters appeared on her way to an easy victory when she led 3-love in the second set. Henin rallied and took a 2-love lead in the third set before the momentum again swung, with Clijsters winning 13 of the next 14 points.

Much of the match was sloppy, with 18 double-faults and 103 unforced errors. Some of the best exchanges came in the final tiebreaker, when Clijsters hit five winners.

CBS13.com


I had the privilege (and the misfortune) of seeing this match live thanks to the internet (you'll understand why I say that in a bit).

Clash of the Belgians it was indeed, and 'seesaw' doesn't even begin to describe this match.

I actually thought that nothing could rival their last meeting in Brisbane Australia earlier this year (and I don't think this one quite did as well in terms of quality).

But it certainly delivered in the drama department once more. Boy did it ever!.

If there were anymore double faults or unforced errors I think my computer would have ended up in shambles.

Anymore momentum changes and I would have ended up with a serious case of whiplash *lol*.

The whole match was equally as dramatic as it was frustrating. I honestly did not know who would win till the very last point.

Next Kim faces Venus Williams in the final. As much as I would love for the match to be entertaining and for the fans to get their money's worth.

I think just this one time I'm going to opt for a boring one sided victory (with Kim in full control). One roller coaster match per tournament is enough.

Save the rest of the drama and excitement for the French Open in May. That tournament is gonna need it.

With all that being said, I have to thank Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin for deciding to comeback on tour.

Matches like these remind me why I fell in love with this sport in the first place. So thank you Kim and Justine for a somewhat crazy, but undoubtedly unforgettable ride.

And for bringing some vigor back to the WTA.

No comments: