Tuesday, September 08, 2026

Iga Swiatek falls in the 4th round of U.S. Open








This one hurts. 

5/1 up it looked like a routine set for Iga and it tuned into anything but. 

I'm still a bit speechless that Qinwen managed to do this twice. 

With Iga and Madison Keys the match prior. 

I guess the adage about qualifiers still rings true they can often be the most dangerous. 

Simply because they have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Will Qinwen be able to keep this up? 

Who knows. 

I'm just sad that Iga is no longer in the tournament. 

I really do hope her thigh is ok and it's not anything serious as she so rarely takes medical timeouts.

I don't think it was a collapse as some people have said, it really was just Qinwen putting more shot in and Iga making errors. 

Not in panic mode where she's hitting shots a mile long, quite a few were forced errors I'd say. 

Iga didn't give up  though she kept trying to find solutions in the 2nd set. 

Qinwen was just steadier on serve in one key moment and all she needed was one break to finish it. 

I like that she was light hearted in post match about things always going this way for her at U.S. Open. 

As it's happened for her every year aside from 2022. 

And she's right the U.S. Open really is her worst Slam despite actually winning it once. 

I'm glad Iga didn't sound too discouraged in the presser and that she's still feeling positive about her game. 

Devastated about the loss sure, but she's steadfast in terms of not allowing this to deter her from everything she's been doing and all the positive results she's had of late. 

As she said it's just one match, it doesn't erase all the progress prior.

I think it bodes well for the Asian swing however that ends up. 

The Chinese fans really love her there. 

Sometimes it honestly feels like she's more appreciated there then she is in her home country. 

Which is sad for me to say as a fellow Pole.

I would love for her to qualify for the WTA  Finals purely for selfish reason's because I just want to see her play more before the season is through. 

And it'd just be weird to not see her there.

But if it doesn't happen, it won't be the end of the world. It'll give her more time to work on things before Australia. 

Maybe even give her more time to hire that second coach she's been looking for. 

So keep your head  up Iga, lot's of tennis still left to play. Your supporters will be with you though the good and the bad as always.

Jazda!.

No comments: