Thursday, November 15, 2018

Agnieszka Radwanska announces retirement from professional tennis



Former World No.2 Agnieszka Radwanska has announced her retirement from professional tennis.

In a statement, the Pole said: "I'd like to share with you one of the most important decisions of my life. Today, after 13 years of playing tennis competitively, I have decided to end my career. This was not an easy decision. I am grateful to have so many special memories, including 20 WTA titles, the WTA Championships in Singapore, a Wimbledon final, and so many others.

"Unfortunately I am no longer able to train and play the way I used to, and recently my body can't live up to my expectations. Taking into consideration my health and the heavy burdens of professional tennis, I have to concede that I’m not able to push my body to the limits required."

Radwanska was the first Polish player to reach a Grand Slam singles final in the Open Era, and the first to win the WTA Finals. She was also voted the WTA Fan Favorite for six consecutive years.

She thanked her family and support team, and added: "I’m hanging the racquet up and say goodbye to the pro tour, but I’m not leaving tennis. Tennis is and always has been special in my life. But now it’s time for new challenges, new ideas, equally as exciting as those on the tennis court, I hope.

"Throughout my career, I always did my best to represent my country in the best possible way. I hope that my tennis matches were the source of emotions and joy for you all. Your support, warm words and faith in me were with me in every single match I played and this is what I’m thankful for. Thank you for every sleepless night in front of the TV and all those Fan Favorite awards – that was the biggest honour and best reward for my hard work. I am truly grateful for having the best and most loyal fans in all of tennis."

In all, Radwanska won 20 career WTA singles titles. In addition to her Wimbledon exploits, she reached the semifinals of the Australian Open twice, the quarterfinals of the French Open once, and also regularly featured in the second week of the US Open.

“Congratulations to Agnieszka on an outstanding career,” said WTA CEO and Chairman Steve Simon. “Agnieszka embodies the qualities that make a true champion, on the court delivering world class performances and incredible displays of athleticism, and off the court with her poise, professionalism and support for her fellow players. Agnieszka leaves a legacy on the game across the globe and on behalf of the WTA, she will truly be missed.”


Tennis will not be the same without you Aga, every match was always exciting to watch just for the sheer amount of incredible shots.  

There's a reason why the media dubbed you the Polish Ninja. Not only is this a huge loss for the sport of tennis itself, but for Polish tennis in particular. 

I think it's going to be a while before we have another player that can reach the elite level the way she did.  

Aga has always been compared to Martina Hingis for her similar style when it comes to net play, which is the biggest complement one can receive when it comes to the sport.  

With both of them retired now, I hope the new generation of players that come along adapt some of those same play qualities. It would be a real shame if that got completely lost.

Thank you for 13 years of  outstanding athleticism, and for representing your country with absolute grace and respect, you will be sorely missed on the WTA tour.  All the best in the new chapter ahead. 

No comments: