Friday, March 25, 2016

Roger Federer pulls out of Miami Open with stomach bug

Roger Federer, who was slated to play his first match since the Australian Open semi-finals on Friday, has been forced to withdraw due to a stomach virus from the Miami Open presented by Itau. His second-round opponent Juan Martin del Potro faced lucky loser Horacio Zeballos instead.

“I am very sorry that I have to pull out of the Miami Open with a stomach virus,” said Federer, the 2005-06 champion. “I feel bad for the tournament and the fans as I have rarely ever had to withdraw at such short notice. I have not felt great for a few days and unfortunately it got worse in the last 24 hours. I was really excited to have my comeback in Miami but I am in no condition to play. I tried to warm up this morning but it was clear that I could not compete.”

“We were very excited to have Roger return to Miami this year and hope he feels better soon,” said Adam Barrett, Tournament Director. “Roger is a true legend of the game and has a huge following here in South Florida. We look forward to seeing him here next year.”

Federer is 8-2 on the year, finishing runner-up in Brisbane (l. to Raonic) and reaching the semi-finals of the Australian Open (l. to Djokovic). He underwent arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn meniscus in early February.

No comments: